Friday, February 16, 2007

Incachaca, a little farther down, but still pretty high, a little more tropical, but still cold at night







Only two hours from Tiraque, and several thousand feet below (but still over a mile high), we emerge from the high valley ecosystems, and arrive at the edge of the tropics, to an ecosystem they refer to as the Yungas. The yungas are sub-tropical and are characterized by very steep slopes that are too steep to be cultivated. This inaccessibility renders much of the land and vegetation pristine and untouched by man. And, for an ecologist, paradise.


I went there for a quick exploration trip a few weeks ago (I am teaching an applied ecology class now, so it only seemed reasonable to check out this unique Bolivian ecosystem). I went to a site called Incachaca, or “Inca Bridge.” This area was along one of the trade routes of the Incas, and there is a bridge suspended high above a gorge where the Incas traversed across. The bridge that the Incas built is long gone, and now in its place is a steel-framed swinging bridge, that overlooks a deep gorge and a crashing river, and the most impressive waterfalls I have ever seen. The bridge is actually in the picture of me, but difficult to see through the thick vegetation, so I have added an arrow to help you find it.





I have never experienced vegetation that dense, huge flowers, giant butterflies and the most unique bird I have ever seen, a giant yellow-tailed something or other. I was sad that I didn’t have any idea what most of the species were. But that is okay…the extent of the beauty more than made up for it.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home