I danced for the Virgin in the Plaza
Yeah. So this weeked is the biggest party in Tiraque. Fiestas de la Virgin de Angustias. Our Lady of Anguish, in other words. She is the town't patroness, and the people here go crazy (though any excuse for a party is welcomed here). The fiestas last all weekend, beginning Friday with dancing, interspersed with masses and other festivities. More on that next week after it happens...
On Monday, I showed up at the school to practice for the dancing, like I have every evening for the past three weeks. Nearly all the teachers and students dance, so there are several hundred of us. My ineptitude at the language often leaves me in the dark about things, and Monday was no exception. I couldn't figure out why, an hour later, the rehearsal hadn't started. We were waiting for the band, that's why. Band? What band? We always used CDs.
But Monday it was our turn to lead the procession to the temple (the church) for the Novena. What? Dancing in public already? But the fiestas aren't until the next weekend? Well, the town celebrates a novena leading up to the fiestas, which means that every night for nine days before the festival, there is a progression through the town of dancing, flares, and music going to the church where are prayer service is then held. A different group dances a different traditional dance every night, and Monday was our night.
My apprehension of performing a week before I thought I was going to was soon overshadowed by the experience of it all. Several hundred Bolivians and three gringos gave it all we had for four blocks to the town plaza, then we made several rounds around the plaza, dancing for about an hour in all. After the prayer service we took to the streets once more and the dancing resumed. Luckily, I knew all the steps pretty well, so I was able relax and enjoy the experience. And what an experience it was....jumping, spinning, all in unison with music blasting and fireworks being shot off.
All in honor of the Virgin. It was beautiful.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home